July 9, 2010

A very difficult but long overdue post...

I have been M.I.A. these past few months and have wanted to blog a few times but just didn't have the heart to do so.  I know that only a few people really read my blog, so Im not too nervous about posting this but at the same time I am.  But after praying about I decided that it's time...

Four years ago, Lee was in a car accident. And our lives have never been the same since. Unfortunately, the other person involved in the accident lost their life. I don't have the strength or desire to go into detail, but it truly was an accident. Although the State determined that the other person involved was at fault, Lee survived and the other person did not. So for the past 4 years, we have been dealing with a possible indictment and then eventually formal charges of Negligent Homicide. It took a year for them to decide to charge Lee and when they finally did, it took three years to get to trial. Lots of postponements, scheduling problems, and an investigating officer who was deployed to Afghanistan were all factors in the whole drawn out process. Until a few months ago, I had become bitter and jaded towards the Justice System and the supposed "inalienable rights" that my Husband was born with. But as things have unfolded over the past year or so I now can look back and realize that the LORD'S hand was in everything and we were being guided and blessed through it all.
Easter Sunday, 2009 Lee received his very first Priesthood blessing from my Dad and it was the defining moment that began Lee's conversion to the Church. Since then he has had many spiritual experiences, miracles and his fair share of ups and downs. But through it all, he has gained an amazing testimony of the restored gospel and of the Savior's role in his life. Lee has completely given his life over to God and has devoted himself 100 percent to the Gospel. He has finally found peace within himself and knows who he is, where he came from, why he's here and where he is going. I thank my Father in Heaven EVERY SINGLE DAY for allowing my husband to find the truth and accept the Gospel that I love so much into his heart.

After four years of waiting for his day in court and a lot of prayer, Lee decided to NOT put his family through a public trial and pleaded No Contest to the charge of Negligent Homicide. The Judge agreed that since Lee was accepting responsibility for his actions, had showed up to every court date and saved the court time and money, that she would not sentence him to longer than 18 months in prison. It was not the best outcome but it was definitely not the worst (He would have been sentenced to 10 years if he was found guilty by a Jury). So on June 21, 2010 Lee was sentenced to 18 months in the Oahu Community Correctional Center. They took him into custody directly from the courtroom and he will be released on December 10, 2011.
It has been a very trying 4 years, but as I look back I realize how much we were blessed and how God truly works in mysterious ways. If we had not suffered through 4 years of trials and tribulations, I really don't know if Lee would have been humble enough to accept the Gospel. If Lee hadn't become active and touched the lives of so many people in our community and ward, I don't know if we would be blessed with the support we have now. And if lee hadn't gained a testimony of our Father in Heaven, His Son Jesus Christ and His Church...I don't know if he or I could survive the next 18 months.

Lee and I are doing as well as can be expected, but these past two weeks have felt more like two years! But in those two weeks, we have experienced blessings and support that have truly enabled us to endure this difficult time. There are several members of the Church who work at O.C.C.C. who have brought comfort to us knowing that he has people watching over him. Obviously it's not the Hilton...but Lee says that it's not as bad as we thought it would be. He is surrounded by a lot of negativity and is struggling to feel an inkling of the Spirit in there...but we both know that all of the prayers offered in his behalf are being heard. A few of you reading this knew about it already and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your love and support. Most of you are hearing about this for the first time and I hope that you are reading this with an open heart and mind. I really did not want to put this out in the open so soon but I am getting so many harmless inquiries into where Lee is or why people haven't seen him around (since we are ALWAYS together) and I don't want to lie and I really don't have the heart to explain it over and over again. We have spent too much time on the past and now it’s time to focus on our future. Neither of us is ashamed because Lee did the right thing. He made a mistake and has accepted responsibility for that choice and is now suffering the consequences. He has made amends with our Father in Heaven, he is currently paying the price to the State/Laws of the land and hopefully he will one day be able to forgive himself. I have never been prouder of him and I know that all of this is only because he CHOSE to believe in our Father in Heaven's plan for us and live his life accordingly. I don't want to think of what we would be going through right now if he didn't have the faith that he does now. My testimony has been strengthened immeasurably and I am so grateful for the opportunity that I now have to be sealed for time and all eternity to Lee. That was something that I had always hoped for but wasn't sure would ever happen in this life. Thank you for your understanding and your prayers. Everyone keeps asking me what they can do and my answer is always JUST PRAY. Pray for him to stay strong spiritually and emotionally, to be protected from harm and evil, and to finally be able to forgive himself.
We love you all...The Harp's

7 comments:

Mickell Gehret said...

Oh Mibi. My heart just aches for you. It must have been so hard to share that on here. You are so strong and I know that you can do this! Your Heavenly Father will not leave you to endure this alone. You and your sweet husband are in our prayers always! Love you Mibi!

The Songer said...

From your FB post I knew that something was going on, but i didnt realize the depth of it. You are so couragous and You have an amazing testimony and everytime you share it, i feel of the love you exude to those around you! You and Lee will continue to be in our prayers. I could not even begin to imagine what you are going through, buy i hope the best for both of you and please do not hesitate to ask me for anything! Thank you for always being an awesome example to me. <3 iwa

Andrea said...

wow, you are both so strong! we will be praying for you both!

Maren said...

Wow Mibi! I really had no idea at all! I'll definitely add him to my prayers! 18 months isn't that long! I'm glad it's not 10 years! (Is there any chance good behavior will shorten it?) Maybe his 18 months will fly by like your mission did! Maybe his example can be like his own mission! I'm thrilled beyond words that he has been converted! I'm so happy for you two, and I know these trials and struggles you're going through will only strengthen the ETERNAL marriage you'll have!

Thank you for sharing about this here! I know how difficult it must be!

Love you girlie! *HUGS*!

Scotts of Paradise said...

Mibi, hang in there. I know that struggle of separation from your husband. My husband is in the military. You are such a great example of faith. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, as they fortify the rest of us. You and Lee are in my thoughts and prayers.

Amity

NeenaLove said...

wow... hang in there Mibi. thank you for sharing such an intimate part of your life with the blog world. i find that when i make my life an open book, there's so much more support.

Mayne Land said...

Mibi you are so strong and loving. I wish you the best of luck to keep your head help high through the rest of this time. Keep a smile on and keep working through it. You are one of the sweetest persons I have ever met and wish you nothing but happiness. XOXO