November 9, 2011

Alabama Adventure Part 1

 It had been almost 7 years since I last went to visit my sister, Lisa, in Mobile, Alabama.  The last time I visited was right after she had moved there and a couple of weeks before Hurricane Katrina! So it was like I was coming there for the first time:) Our first stop was Cracker Barrel...oh my it was GOOD!!! Best biscuit I have ever tasted! And their pancakes were amazing.  I don't know what they do to their food here int he south but OH BOY!  Be prepared to see a lot of posts with pictures of FOOD;) Don't mind how I look in these pictures...I was on a plane for 12 hours and hadn't slept all night!
I got in around 7am and we went home and I showered and then we picked the kids up from school and went to eat at Sonny's BBQ.  I was so full and so tired that on the way home I PASSED OUT!

And of COURSE my family decided to take pictures of me sleeping.  I don't even remember falling asleep or getting in the house;)
The next day Lisa and I slept in and then did some sight seeing before picking the kids up from school.  We met  "MawMaw" and "PawPaw" at Neighbors Restaurant for some good southern home cooking. In Alabama its not pronounced Mama and Papa..there's a drawl to it so that;s why I spell it with a W on the end;)
This is fried catfish and fried crab claws (so good), hush puppies, coleslaw and mac and cheese. The crab claws were SO GOOD!
Fried Green Tomatoes was my favorite thing I ate the whole trip.  I love the movie and have always wanted to try them and they were GOOD!
MawMaw ordered Liver and Gizzards (yuck) but I was obligated to at least try one of each.  The liver was as disgusting as I remembered it to be (my mom used to get it from Popeye's chicken and make us eat it) but the Gizzards were tolerable.  Tasted like chewy sausage!
L-R: Kenny (14), Jessica (11), Me, MawMaw and PawPaw
Later that night, Jessica was invited to Young Women in Excellence program since she will be a Beehive in January! It was her first "Young Women's" activity and I was so excited to go with her:)

2 comments:

Emerson Experiment said...

Meebs, my JAW JAW is drooling! Love da food pics anyday!

Janet said...

You had a true southern experience with Lisa and her family...how fun. Jer had a Maw Maw on his mission. WE all loved her. Keep the posts coming!!!