48 years ago today I was working out of an office by the Han River as a corporal in the United State Army Military Intelligence 502 MI Battalion; driving a military jeep, or a clandestine 1957 black Chevy sedan doing my job of protecting our country as well as the Republic of Korea from outside espionage sources. Carefully and secretly meeting with your future mother around secret areas of Seoul in my off duty hours. Standing guard on weekends when it was my turn. Being the District President of our military LDS branch at Yong San Military Base and sometimes driving then Assistant to the Twelve Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley to meetings when he came to visit Korea. Pres. Kennedy would be assinated later this month Nov. 23rd (Korea Time) and we would go on full alert with packs ready to go wherever
we would be sent for the next six months or so. Needless to say I am happy and proud that I was able to serve our Country and thankful that since then neither of my sons or others have had to be drafted to protect our country. In our packs if we did deploy would be a special pill we were to swallow if ever captured that would instantly take our life instead of being tortured to reveal any military secrets. This we or at least I was prepared to do without question because it was what I had been trained to do, never having had to shoot anyone but trained to do so if necessary I believe I would have done without question if ever in a situation where I had to do it. Technically I am a Vietnam veteran as I was released from military service on August 13th 1964, one week after it was deemed a Vietnam era. I received for service in Korea the US Army Military Commendation Award which was the highest peace time award that could be given for "Meritorious Service" during time in Korea having collected and produced over 1100 confidential military reports that were deemed important and necessary for the security of the US Military from March 1962 to 1964; I extended for one year in Korea as the normal tour of duty was 12-13 months.
Im so grateful for my parents and all the sacrifices they have made for me and our family. I also LOVE hearing about their history and be able to preserve it to share with my children and their children as well!
1 comment:
Oh.....I just love all the pictures (except the snake...YIKES) and all the updates. What a wonderful time you all had together!!!
Post a Comment